Thursday, June 29, 2017

hats and mittens


It may look like I've had a very industrious week knitting three hats and a pair of mittens but two of those hats - the pink and yellow - were knitted quite some time ago using this free pattern. I finally sewed up their seams and got them finished. The grey hat was a way to use up yarn left over from the mittens. And for that I used this pattern from Adorable baby knits by Jody Long.

My granddaughter asked me to make her some mittens. It hasn't been a particularly cold winter (yet) so I'm not sure how much wear they'll get but she seems to enjoy trying them on and showing them to everyone. And I enjoyed making them. I used an old Kaiapoi pattern. Mittens are deceptively easy to knit on two needles and don't take too long if you're knitting for little hands. There's a free pattern here for "the world's simplest mittens" that goes from toddler to large adult size and doesn't require any grafting. Apparently mittens are warmer than gloves - something to do with trapping body heat because your fingers are all snuggled up together. Cosy. ☺

Reading: The woman in cabin 10 by Ruth Ware. This is a mystery/crime novel about a woman being thrown overboard from a cruise ship except all crew and passengers remain accounted for. So far, a page turner and the protagonist isn't even on the ship yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So nice of you to leave a comment. I love to read them. Thanks!