Wednesday, July 6, 2016

blankets


Right now I'm working to bind some woolen fabric (from my stash) to make cot blankets to donate to Little Sprouts. The mossy brown one is complete and I'm about to start on the grey. It's a pretty simple task that includes some hand stitching - which I quite like. There's a good tutorial here at Purl Soho.

I've been stitching away while watching some of my favourite films - so far, The big Lebowski, Frances Ha and Rear window. Plus the blanket is warm on my lap. We've had a few cold nights here recently.

That top photo was taken last July. It's Lake Waihola near Milton in Otago. We were passing by on our way from Dunedin to Invercargill. It was a really cold day. You can see the frost on the hills and the lake was frozen in shallow parts along the shore.

Reading: Bilgewater (1976) by Jane Gardam. Although I listed this as a childhood favourite, it's not a children's book - more suitable for "teens". I quite liked it but perhaps not as much as when I first read it. It's the coming-of-age story of Marigold Green, the daughter of a schoolmaster at a private boys' school in England. Marigold leads a quiet and solitary life until she reunites with a childhood friend.
The quote: "It must be queer not being able to do mathematics."

No comments:

Post a Comment

So nice of you to leave a comment. I love to read them. Thanks!