Sunday, May 1, 2016

goodnight, bear


Here are the teddy bear clothes I've been making - pyjamas, slippers and a sleep sack. I drafted my own sewing patterns after looking at loads of doll and teddy bear patterns. I'd like to share the patterns with you but teddies vary in size and shape so much that it's impossible to guarantee a fit. Also this bear is a bit unusual (and extra challenging) as he's built in a permanent sitting down position.
As it turned out, the slippers were my biggest challenge. After several false starts I modified an old pattern (like this one) for what we used to call TV slippers and added little pom poms made by winding wool around a fork like this. And I'm really pleased with how they turned out.
Of course, every bear needs a bear so I made another "anything animal" like these ones. 
I was well rewarded for my efforts as my granddaughter loved the clothes and spent an evening putting her bear to bed many, many times over.

Reading:  
Benson's cuckoos by Anouk Ricard - a crazy comic/graphic novel whodunnit
M train by Patti Smith - a memoir of sorts. Review in The guardian.

1 comment:

  1. Truly would like a copy of your pattern for the bottoms. I'm trying to make one for permanently seated bunny for a little girl. I've had 4 big fails trying to modify patterns for dolls. I can't seem to figure out how to deal with the seated position.

    ReplyDelete

So nice of you to leave a comment. I love to read them. Thanks!